Thursday 19 May 2011

Sushi-ya, Chatswood

There aren't many options for Japanese food in Chatswood and its surrounding areas. There's the usual, Makoto if you crave for some sushi and there's Takeru if you want some hot food. Don't even mention about the rest.

What if you want some hot food + sushi? Sushi-ya it is! It's a little further down from Chatswood Chase but I wouldn't walk there. Because I'd be too hungry to walk over. When I'm hungry, I'm this mean pissy girl, until I get my food.

Okay, back to Sushi-ya. I've been there a couple of times and I find that there's quite a difference in it's food quality and service during lunch and dinner. Food seems yummier during dinner and waaay friendlier staff too. Perhaps the waiters at Sushi-ya prefer evening shifts? However, there are lunch specials, around $18 for a bento box set or $19+ for 2 mains picked from the list.

This time, I went for lunch but I didn't choose the lunch specials. Normally, I would order California roll which tastes amazingly good. My friend has to order that every single time, without fail. It's creamy in the middle, rice well seasoned and just.nice. However, I decided to go with the Salmon lover roll.

It's just a California roll with raw salmon on top. I thought it will be double YUMS! But it's not what I expected. The rice was not well seasoned, it's rather dry and tasteless. But, the portion is large and good for sharing. I remember it was about $14, and I realize that I could just top up another $5 to get a bento box! However, I reminded myself that I wanted Sushi and it's quality >quantity. Keep that in mind keep that in mind! I guess I should've stuck with the California roll.

And again, there's Teriyaki beef, the usual. The teriyaki beef here is incredibly food. Thinly sliced beef with good flavours. You just can't stop at one. I saw myself reaching for it with my chopsticks over and over again. The set comes with  rice and miso soup. On the side, there's potato salad (YUMMM) and salad with Japanese dressing.

Another dish worth ordering is the Grilled Saba. I had it once and it's perfectly grilled. I ended up finishing the entire fish on my own. But, the Teriyaki fish was disappointing.



The big pot of green tea.
Final thoughts: Sushi-ya is the place to go for a good lunch/dinner with a bunch of friends/family as most of the dishes are good for sharing. I know I'd be there if I want to satisfy my cravings for Japanese food!


Sushi-ya (Chatswood)
174 Victoria Avenue, 
Chatswood NSW 2067
(02) 9413 3300 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (02) 9413 3300      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

No comments:

Post a Comment